Homes in Disrepair compensation claims

If you live in a council house or housing association house and the property requires repairs, you could claim thousands in compensation.



A ‘house in disrepair’ is one that hasn’t been kept in a reasonable condition.

You have a responsibility to look after the house you rent. You must take care of the property, treating it well, and keeping it clean, but your landlord must also play their part. Your job is to look after the house through your day-to-day behavior, but your landlord is responsible for any repairs that happen due to simple wear and tear.

A ‘house in disrepair’ is defined by the Landlord and Tenant Act (1985). This states that landlords must keep a building’s exterior and structure in a good state of repair. They’re responsible for dealing with structural problems, blocked gutters, mould, and infestations.

Your landlord must keep the installations for water, gas, heating, and electricity in proper working order. This includes keeping the boiler working. They must also keep sanitation equipment like toilets, baths, and sinks in full working order, as well as fitting fire alarms and carbon monoxide alarms.

How can Money Savings Advice help you with you?

Here at Money Savings Advice, we have partnered with some of the UK’s leading homes in disrepair independent solicitors. They have already helped thousands of people claim compensation, and they can do the same for you.

Choosing an independent solicitor means they won’t recommend a scheme unless they are sure it is in your best interests. Their advice is also regulated by the FCA, which gives you an additional layer of protection.

If you would like to speak to one of these solicitors, then click on the below and answer the very simple questions.

How does Money Savings Advice work

Money Savings Advice is an independent editorial company providing detailed information about numerous financial niches with the aim of helping consumers make informed financial decisions. We aim to provide hints, tips and techniques to help you make your money work for you. However, we are not perfect, and we accept no liability if anything we write about goes wrong.

  • The information detailed on Money Savings Advice does not constitute financial advice. It is always advised to do your own research to make sure the product/solution we write about fits your circumstances.
  • The aim of Money Savings Advice is to match you with a financial advisor, claims management company or another financial service company that can help you with your financial needs.
  • Money Savings Advice aim to provide the most up to date and accurate information about all financial subjects, and as such we sometimes link to other websites, but we (Money Savings Advice) can’t be responsible for their content.
  • Money Savings Advice is independent and not linked to any financial company.


Who are Money Savings Advice

Money Savings Advice is a trading name of RMM Digital Publishing Ltd. Registered trading address, First Floor, 85 Great Portland Street, London, W1W 7LT. Trading in England and Wales, company number 11550143 with data protection number ZA747669.

Back to top