Acoustic Shock Symptoms & Compensation Claims

Ian Lewis[1]

Ian Lewis

Money Savings Advice Acoustic shock syndrome & compensation

Acoustic shock is a relatively new phenomenon, but it is officially recognised as a medical condition. Research shows that it can have a significant impact on your hearing and standard of life.

So, if you believe you have been the victim of an acoustic shock as a consequence of negligence by your employer, then you may be eligible for compensation. It is important to take advice as soon as possible to see whether you have grounds for a claim.

While hearing issues have long been a problem for many employees, the acoustic shock is a particularly painful and damaging condition. It occurs when loud noises, feedback oscillations or other similar types of interference are transmitted down a telephone line.

The shock can cause a strong muscle contraction within the middle ear which can often lead to the tearing of the inner membrane. The delicate nature of the inner ear is well documented, and this type of sharp, sudden shock can have a huge impact on your hearing.

Looking for other information on Personal Injury or Industrial Disease/illness? This guide has info on 'Acoustic Shock compensation claims' We have also writen extensively about:

We update all our guides regularly. If you are researching Personal Injury or Industrial Disease/illness and Compensation Claims and we haven't got an exact guide that helps you, keep coming back as we update daily.

What Are the Symptoms of Acoustic Shock?

While the symptoms of acoustic shock are similar to tinnitus/hearing loss, there are a number of specific issues to be aware of.

These include:-

  • Headaches
  • Nausea
  • Pain in the ear
  • Fatigue
  • Hypersensitivity
  • Balance issues
  • Hollow feeling/fluttery noise in the ear
  • Neck pain
  • Jaw pain

It is not difficult to see how these symptoms in isolation, never mind two or more together, can have an impact on a sufferer’s life.

Who Is Liable if I Suffer From Acoustic Shock?

Ultimately your employer is liable. There are a number of acts of Parliament placed on the statute books offer varying degrees of protection to employees. With regards to acoustic shock claims, the government set up a program in 2004 called the “Acoustic Safety Programme”.

This offered advice and guidance for businesses/call centre operators who may be prone to incidents of acoustic shock. It is safe to say that the programme has been welcomed by businesses, but unfortunately, there are still acoustic shock claims going through the courts.

Is Acoustic Shock Recognised as an Industrial Disease?

While the condition itself is not necessarily recognised as an industrial disease, the symptoms and the impact on hearing are now recognised. So while there may not be a government-sponsored programme of compensation, it is still possible to pursue your employer for negligence.

In reality, there are few government-sponsored compensation programs for industrial diseases, although some conditions are covered by specific benefit payments.

Do I Have to Make a Claim Within a Specific Period?

As the acoustic shock is a relatively new phenomenon, one which the business arena is still coming to terms with, you may not be diagnosed with the condition until sometime after the event. Traditionally there is a three-year window of opportunity during which to lodge a claim for compensation. However, this timescale does not begin until you have been officially diagnosed with, in this instance, acoustic shock.

It is therefore conceivable that you could be diagnosed many weeks, months or even years down the line and still be able to claim compensation.

Which Industries Are More Susceptible to Acoustic Shock?

By far and away, the most susceptible industry when it comes to acoustic shock is the call centre sector. These operations see employees on the phone for the vast majority of the day, which increases their chances of experiencing an acoustic shock.

Thankfully there are ways and means in which your employer can reduce the chances of experience this very uncomfortable situation.

Should My Employers Provide Safety Equipment?

Yes. All employers have a legal obligation to ensure the physical and mental well-being of their employees. This includes the supply of safety equipment/PPE, which can help to avoid condition such as acoustic shock.

It is worth noting that since 1991 the major manufacturers of headsets have incorporated what is known as acoustic limiters into their devices. In effect, these headsets filter out noise above 118 dB, which is the legal limit for headset devices. There is no doubt this has gone a long way to protecting employees from acoustic shock.

How Do I Claim Compensation for Acoustic Shock?

As hearing loss conditions are recognised as potential industrial diseases, medical conditions which develop in the workplace, you will need to prove negligence before being able to apply for compensation.

The following evidence would prove useful:-

  • Medical diagnosis
  • Medical records
  • Previous warnings to employer
  • Post-event impact on everyday life
  • Photographic evidence
  • Witness statements
  • Employer accident records
  • Details of PPE/safety equipment provided (or lack of)

If you can show that you were exposed to in excess of 118 dB, thereby bringing on acoustic shock, this should suffice. However, it is worth noting that acoustic shock can still occur under the legal limit of 118 dB and your employer may still be liable.

Should I Approach a Claims Management Company?

While you are able to pursue a compensation claim on your own, many people choose to employ the services of a claims management company. They have experience, contacts and know the intricate workings of the UK legal system.

Research also shows that successful compensation claims are often significantly higher when negotiated by a claims management company, as opposed to the individual.

How Much Does It Cost to Pursue a Compensation Claim?

If a claims management company believes you have a minimum 60% chance of success, they will likely offer to take your case forward. You will probably be offered a “no win no fee” arrangement which will remove your liability to cover the claims management company’s costs while pursuing your claim.

In exchange, they will negotiate a “success fee” which would entitle them to a percentage of any compensation awarded.

What Is the Normal Level for a Success Fee?

The average success fee is around 25%, although it can vary depending upon the type of injury and duration of the case.


While the term acoustic shock may be relatively new to many people, the symptoms and the impact on an individual’s life are well documented. From relatively mild ringing in the ears to long-term industrial deafness, this is only the beginning of the impact.

Therefore, if you believe you have been the victim of acoustic shock as a consequence of negligence by your employer, you should investigate your eligibility for compensation.

How Can Money Savings Advice Help You With Making an Industrial illness Compensation Claim?

Here at Money Savings Advice, we have partnered with some of the UK’s leading Industrial illness Claims management companies. They have already helped thousands of people claim compensation for injuries & illnesses they have incurred, and they can do the same for you.

Choosing an independent claims management company means they won’t proceed with a claim unless they are sure it is in your best interests. They are also regulated by the FCA, which gives you an additional layer of protection.

If you would like to speak to one of these claim management companies who can help you make a compensation claim, then click on the below and answer the very simple questions.


Money Savings Advice Author Ian Lewis

Ian Lewis

Ian Lewis is one of our specialist financial writers. Ian has over 15 years of financial writing experience, having worked for some of the largest financial publications in the UK covering topics from mortgages, equity release, loans and financial claims, to name a few.

How does Money Savings Advice work

Money Savings Advice is an independent editorial company providing detailed information about numerous financial niches with the aim of helping consumers make informed financial decisions. We aim to provide hints, tips and techniques to help you make your money work for you. However, we are not perfect, and we accept no liability if anything we write about goes wrong.

  • The information detailed on Money Savings Advice does not constitute financial advice. It is always advised to do your own research to make sure the product/solution we write about fits your circumstances.
  • The aim of Money Savings Advice is to match you with a financial advisor, claims management company or another financial service company that can help you with your financial needs.
  • Money Savings Advice aim to provide the most up to date and accurate information about all financial subjects, and as such we sometimes link to other websites, but we (Money Savings Advice) can’t be responsible for their content.
  • Money Savings Advice is independent and not linked to any financial company.


Who are Money Savings Advice

Money Savings Advice is a trading name of RMM Digital Publishing Ltd. Registered trading address, First Floor, 85 Great Portland Street, London, W1W 7LT. Trading in England and Wales, company number 11550143 with data protection number ZA747669.

Back to top