Accidents at Work Compensation Examples

Laura Broad[1]

Laura Broad

Money Savings Advice Accident at work compensation examples

It doesn’t matter where you work, all employers have a responsibility to keep you safe while you’re at work. This is their duty of care and it’s a legal requirement.

What Are the Average Injury at Work Compensation Values?

The compensation you'll receive for accidents at work depend on the severity of your injury. A minor foot injury that you'll recover from is worth £5,000 - £11,730. Permanent eye damage can entitle you to up to £200,000.

Even so, accidents still do happen. If you’ve been unfortunate enough to find yourself on the receiving end of an accident at work, you might be eligible for compensation.

This guide will explore when you can make a personal injury claim, typical accident at work compensation examples and the steps you need to take to make a claim.

Looking for other information on Personal Injury? This guide has info on 'Accidents at work compensation value examples (££)' We have also writen extensively about:

We update all our guides regularly. If you are researching Personal Injury and Personal Injury Compensation Claims and we haven't got an exact guide that helps you, keep coming back as we update daily.

When Can I Make a Claim for Compensation?

Just having an accident at your place of work isn’t enough to guarantee compensation. The law is very strict on this - there are certain criteria which the accident must meet before it is likely to be a successful claim.

The three main questions you need to ask are:

1 - Does It Count as a Work-Related Accident?

According to the Health and Safety Executive, an accident is “a separate, identifiable, unintended incident which causes physical injury”. This means that if you weren’t injured, you won’t get a payout - it would be classed as a near miss and not an accident.

So, let’s assume you were injured. The accident has to also be something that happened while you were carrying out your work duties.

For example:

  • The accident occurred as a direct result of work being carried out.
  • The accident was related to any machinery, equipment or substance being used to carry out work duties.
  • The accident was a result of the condition of the site or premises being worked in.

2 - Was a Third Party at Fault?

To be a successful claim, the accident can’t be your fault. This could mean it was a mistake by someone else you’re working with or a safety oversight on your employer’s part that could be classed as negligence.

For example, imagine you were injured at work after falling off a ladder. If the ladder was knocked by a colleague and this is what caused you to fall, it’s the fault of somebody else - the accident was out of your control.

If you fell because you were distracted on your phone or weren’t wearing the correct footwear provided to you, this is unlikely to be deemed the fault of somebody else and, you’re unlikely to get any compensation.

3 - Was Your Employer Liable?

If you were injured as a result of your employer not taking necessary steps to prevent incidents from happening, they are at fault. For example, an employer expecting staff to work with machinery in poor repair or without proper training would be classed as negligence.

Common Workplace Accidents and Injuries

The HSE collects all kinds of data about workplace accidents and injuries. From this, we can get a clear picture of what accidents are most common at work. The most common injuries at work are a result of:

  • Slips, trips or falls
  • Handling, lifting or carrying
  • Struck by moving or falling objects
  • Falls from height
  • Workplace violence

Regardless of the type of injury, there are some common themes in the cause of workplace injuries - dangerous working practices, inadequate protective equipment, preventable spillages or trip hazards, poorly maintained equipment and poor safety procedures.

Typical Compensation Examples

There are legal guidelines in England and Wales that set out how much compensation should be paid out in general damages for certain types of workplace injuries.

Below is a small selection of compensation examples from the Judicial College Guidelines - the guidelines legal professionals will use as a benchmark for damages to claim. The full guidelines are far more extensive, going into lots of detail about other types of injury. Note that the amount of compensation also depends on the severity of the injury.

Type of Injury Severity Description Amount
Back Injury Minor Strains, sprains or soft tissue injuries. £300 - £9,000
Back Injury Severe Severe injury to spine, possibly causing paralysis £30,000 - £130,000
Eye Injury Minor Temporary vision problems, no lasting effects. £1650 - £6,700
Eye Injury Severe Loss of sight, near or total blindness. £80,500 - £200,000
Facial Injury Minor Light scarring, simple fractures e.g. broken nose. £1,300 - £2,700
Facial Injury Severe Lasting facial disfigurement or severe scarring. £13,700 - £75,000
Foot Injury Minor Common foot injury, not permanent. Will recover. £5,000 - £11,730
Foot Injury Severe Severe injury to one or both feet, or amputation. £35,000 - £153,000
Hand Injury Minor Fracture to finger or thumb, cuts or soft tissue damage. £360 - £4,500
Hand Injury Severe Severe hand injures, crush or digit amputation. £3,000 - £150,000
Head Injury Minor No brain damage, recovery within a few weeks £1,800 - £10,890
Head Injury Severe Serious brain damage, full-time care needed. £215,000 - £307,000

Figures taken from the Judicial College Guidelines, accurate as of 2020.

How Much Compensation Will I Receive?

Remember that the table above is just a guide. The real extent of what you will receive in compensation depends on the extent of your injuries, the treatment you need and the effect your injuries have on your daily life.

The above numbers also only include general damages. You may also be able to claim special damages that cover extra expenses your injury has led to, such as lost earnings from work and costs of care, medical treatments or physiotherapy needed after the accident.

How Do I Make a Personal Injury Compensation Claim?

The safest way to ensure you give yourself the best chance of receiving compensation after an accident at work is to seek legal advice. Many personal injury solicitors work on ‘no win, no fee terms’ - if your claim isn’t successful, you don’t pay their fees.

Can I Lose My Job for Making a Personal Injury Compensation Claim?

In short, no. By law, you can’t legally be dismissed for making a claim against your employer. Besides, this is the kind of thing employers have insurance for - your employer will not be the one forking out for workplace injury claims. If you feel you’ve been unfairly dismissed after making a claim following an accident at work, seek legal advice as soon as possible.

The following chart will give you an idea of the many injuries covered by personal injury compensation and the range of compensation available. Each claim will be treated on a case-by-case basis generally within the range of compensation.

Injuries resulting in death Range of compensation
Initial full awareness £10,000 to £18,980
Followed by unconsciousness £8,370 to £8,500
Immediate unconsciousness/death after six weeks £3,000 to £3,500
Immediate unconsciousness/death within one week £1,090 to £2,230
Mental anguish prior to death £3720
Injuries involving paralysis Range of compensation
Tetraplegia £258,740 to £322,060
Paraplegia £174,620 to £226,610
Short durations £39,330
Brain and head injury Range of compensation
Very severe brain damage £224,800 to £322,060
Moderately severe brain damage £174,620 to £224,800
Moderate brain damage £34,330 to £174,620
Less severe brain damage £12,210 to £34,330
Minor brain/head injury £1,760 to £10,180
Epilepsy £8,480 to £119,650
Psychiatric and psychological damage Range of compensation
Psychiatric damage generally £1,220 to £92,240
Post-traumatic stress disorder £6,520 to £80,250
Injuries affecting the senses Range of compensation
Injuries affecting sight £1,760 to £322,060
Deafness/Tinnitus £5,590 to £112,100
Impairment of taste and smell £15,300 to £31,220
Injuries to internal organs Range of compensation
Chest injuries Up to £119,650
Lung disease £1,760 to £108,370
Asbestos-related disease £12,020 to £100,350
Asthma Up to £52,390
Reproductive system: Male £5,280 to in excess of £122,640
Reproductive system: Female £2,700 to £135,030
Digestive system £730 to £49,350
Kidney £24,530 to £167,690
Bowels £10,040 to £146,840
Ladder £18,660 to £146,840
Spleen £3,470 to £20,950
Hernia £2,710 to £19,260
Orthopaedic injuries Range of compensation
Neck injuries Up to £118,240
Back injuries Up to £128,320
Shoulder injuries £4,110 to £38,280
Injuries to the pelvis/hips £3,150 to £104,370
Amputation of arms £76,650 to £239,140
Other arm injuries £5,280 to £104,370
Injuries to elbow Up to £43,710
Wrist injuries £2,810 to £47,720
Hand injuries Up to £160,600
Vibration white finger/hand-arm vibration syndrome £2,390 to £30,630
Work-related upper limb disorders £1,760 to £18,440
Leg injuries £7,270 to £224,800
Knee injuries Up to £76,690
Ankle injuries Up to £55,560
Achilles tendon £5,800 to £30,630
Foot injuries Up to £160,600
Toe injuries Up to £44,710
Chronic pain Range of compensation
Chronic pain disorder £16,800 to £66,970
Facial injuries Range of compensation
Skeletal injuries £870 to £29,290
Facial disfigurement £1,360 to £77,580
Scarring to other parts of the body Range of compensation
Varying degrees of scarring £6,240 to in excess of £83,550
Damage to hair Range of compensation
Varying degrees of damage £3,150 to £8,780
Dermatitis and other skin conditions Range of compensation
Varying degrees of damage £1,360 to £15,300
Minor injuries Range of compensation
Complete recovery within seven days to 3 months Up to £1,950

How Can Money Savings Advice Help You With Making a Personal Injury Compensation Claim?

Here at Money Savings Advice, we have partnered with some of the UK’s leading Personal Injury Claims management companies. They have already helped thousands of people claim compensation for injuries they have incurred, and they can do the same for you.

Choosing an independent claims management company means they won’t proceed with a claim unless they are sure it is in your best interests. They are also regulated by the FCA, which gives you an additional layer of protection.

If you would like to speak to one of these claim management companies who can help you make a compensation claim, then click on the below and answer the very simple questions.

Laura Broad[1]

Laura Broad

Laura is a professional content writer and learning designer, passionate about empowering people through straightforward, jargon-free content. When she's not reading or writing about all things personal finance, you can find her in the gym, barbell in hand.

How does Money Savings Advice work

Money Savings Advice is an independent editorial company providing detailed information about numerous financial niches with the aim of helping consumers make informed financial decisions. We aim to provide hints, tips and techniques to help you make your money work for you. However, we are not perfect, and we accept no liability if anything we write about goes wrong.

  • The information detailed on Money Savings Advice does not constitute financial advice. It is always advised to do your own research to make sure the product/solution we write about fits your circumstances.
  • The aim of Money Savings Advice is to match you with a financial advisor, claims management company or another financial service company that can help you with your financial needs.
  • Money Savings Advice aim to provide the most up to date and accurate information about all financial subjects, and as such we sometimes link to other websites, but we (Money Savings Advice) can’t be responsible for their content.
  • Money Savings Advice is independent and not linked to any financial company.

We take your privacy incredible seriously


Who are Money Savings Advice

Money Savings Advice is a trading name of RMM Digital Publishing Ltd. Registered trading address, First Floor, 85 Great Portland Street, London, W1W 7LT. Trading in England and Wales, company number 11550143 with data protection number ZA747669.

Back to top